Time of Smartphones – level 3
As there is growing evidence that phone addiction can harm brain development, big tech companies are under pressure over their habit-forming design practices. One study found that we use our phones up to five hours a day.
Julia Hobsbawm, a social health expert, said that people living in cities of developed economies often spend too much time on their phones which can stop them from real relationships and living offline lives.
Both Google and Apple introduced ways for people to limit the time that they spend on their phones. With the latest software, you will be able to see how much time you spend on your device and which apps you are using. With this insight, you can decide on how much time you want to spend with your device each day.
For those who need a little extra help, Apple created App Limits. If you set a limit and you are using the app that you want to cut down on, you receive a notification which lets you know that time is almost up.
Difficult words: design practice (how a company or a person makes something), device (a thing made for a specific purpose).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How much time do you spend on your smartphone?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos