Tobacco Trouble – level 2
Maryland is a small state in the USA in the Mid-Atlantic region and around 6 million people live there.
Its governor raised the minimum age to buy tobacco and nicotine products from 18 to 21. He said that it is a reaction to the fact that so many teenagers are vaping.
People say that more than 2 million middle school and high school students used e-cigarettes in 2017.
Maryland is the 13th American state to raise the age from 18 to 21. One senator plans to make this raise everywhere in the USA.
Difficult words: governor (the leader/boss of an American state), raise (make go up), vape (smoke an e-cigarette or something similar).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos