Tokyo 2020 Olympics begin – level 2
The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games started on Friday. More than 11,300 athletes from 207 countries will compete in 33 sports.
COVID-19 cases increased quickly in Japan in the past few weeks, and officials decided to declare a state of emergency in Tokyo. Many Japanese people wanted to cancel or postpone the Olympics again, but it did not happen. Athletes started to arrive, and 11 people already tested positive for the coronavirus. These athletes must stay in their hotel rooms, and they cannot compete.
Organizers say that safety is the most important thing, and athletes must follow many rules. They must wear a mask, and they must keep distance. There will be no spectators at the Olympics, and athletes will put medals on their necks themselves.
Difficult words: compete (to take part in a match or game), declare (to announce officially that something is happening), spectator (a person who comes to watch a match or game).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos