Tokyo 2020 Olympics begin – level 3
The Olympic flame for Tokyo 2020 has been lit as this year’s Olympics starts. More than 11,300 athletes from 207 nations will compete over the next couple of weeks in 33 sports.
Olympic groups landed amid the threat of the infectious delta variant that has triggered case surges throughout Asia. With Tokyo in a state of emergency throughout the Olympics after a sharp increase in COVID-19 infections, the Games have come under huge criticism from the Japanese public. The majority of them said that they wanted the Olympics to be canceled or postponed again. However, safety is paramount for the organizers, and huge precautions are being taken.
For the first time in history, events will be held without spectators, and winners will place their own medals around their necks. Athletes social distance in the Olympic Village, they must wear a face mask at all times, and they eat between plastic barriers in the cafeteria. Unfortunately, the virus has affected the Games already, with 11 positive cases among athletes.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.