Tokyo metro attack – level 1
This happens on Sunday evening. In Tokyo, people on a metro are traveling home.
Suddenly, something terrible happens. A man is walking on the train. He is wearing a Joker costume. The Joker is a bad person in the Batman books and movies.
The man is holding a long knife. He throws something on the seats. It looks like water. People think that it is a joke. This happens on Halloween. It is not a joke.
The man sets a fire on the train. He hurts 17 people. It happens near Shinjuku Station. It is the busiest station in the world. 3.5 million people travel there every day.
Police catch the man. They do not know why he attacks other people. Reports say that the man wants to get a death sentence.
Difficult words: metro (an underground train in a big city), costume (special clothes which you wear when you want to look like somebody else), death sentence (when someone does something very bad, and a court says that this person must die).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.