Tokyo metro attack – level 2
A man who was wearing a Batman Joker costume, attacked passengers in a Tokyo metro car. The attack happened near Shinjuku Station, the world’s busiest station, where 3.5 million people traveled every day.
Some people on the train saw a man holding a knife, and he threw liquid on the seats. People thought that it was a joke because it was Halloween. Then, the man set fire on the train, and he attacked passengers with a long knife.
The man hurt 17 people before police arrested him. It was not clear why the man did it, but reports said that the man wanted to kill people and to get a death sentence.
Difficult words: metro (an underground train in a city), liquid (something that moves like water), death sentence (when somebody does a serious crime and a court decides that he will be put to death).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos