Tokyo metro attack – level 3
Only weeks after two men were stabbed at Tokyo’s Ueno Station, a knife and arson attack on the city‘s metro has injured 17 people and left one in serious condition.
The attack happened near Shinjuku, the world’s busiest rail station with over 3.5 million daily passengers.
On Sunday evening, witnesses described a man walking through the train cars, waving a blooded knife, dousing parts of the train with an unknown liquid, and then starting a fire. Before seeing the armed assailant, some people thought the fire was a Halloween joke.
Police arrested the 25-year-old man, and he went into custody. The attacker was dressed in Batman’s Joker costume; however, his reasons are still unknown. Local media reported later that the man told authorities that he wanted to kill people so he could be sentenced to death.
Difficult words: arson (the crime of intentionally starting a fire in order to destroy something), douse (to throw water or another liquid on someone or something), assailant (a person who attacks someone violently).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.