Tonnes of dead fish – level 3
Hundreds and thousands of dead fish have taken over the shores of Mexico’s Cajititlan Lagoon over the past week.
Sparking an investigation into local wastewater treatment plants thought to be responsible, nearly 50 tonnes of popchoe chub freshwater fish have been removed from the lagoon in the past two days.
With numbers expected to increase in the coming days, the leader of the fishermen’s co-operative in the area said the mass fish death was caused by high levels of pollution at the bottom of the lagoon. Local authorities have blamed natural phenomena but state authorities and environmental investigators have rejected this, blaming “poor management”.
Attention has now turned to the wastewater treatment plants that operate nearby, and mud from the plants could be to blame.
Difficult words: spark (to start something), wastewater treatment plant (structure which cleans water), co-operative (organisation), authority (somebody in charge of something or somewhere), phenomenon (something which happens in nature).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos