Too many Florida mosquitoes – level 2
Hurricane Ian hit Florida in September, and many places remained wet. These places became perfect for mosquitoes to lay their eggs.
Mosquitoes don’t usually lay eggs in lakes and similar places because fish would eat them. Now, many normally dry places are wet. No fish are in these places, and they are safe for mosquitoes.
So many mosquitoes are in Florida that a special team has to monitor the situation and find new wet areas. People kill mosquitoes from planes, but this doesn’t completely stop the breeding.
People are cleaning up their homes, and streets are full of debris. Officers ask people to set the garbage so that water cannot collect there.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.