Too Many Monkeys – level 1
Lopburi is a city in Thailand. About 6,000 macaques live in the city. Thousands of tourists come to see the monkeys every year. Tourists take pictures of the monkeys. Tourists give them food.
However, the coronavirus stops tourism. Tourists do not come to the city. The monkeys are hungry. They start to get violent. They attack each other and people in the streets, too.
Local people give the monkeys sweets, sweet drinks, and cereals. It brings another problem. Monkeys start to have more sex. The number of monkeys is growing fast.
Officials must solve the problem. Vets sterilize the monkeys. They cannot have babies again.
Difficult words: macaque (a type of a monkey with a long face), vet (an animal doctor), sterilize (to stop someone from having a baby).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos