Too Many Monkeys – level 2
Many monkeys live in Thailand. In the city of Lopburi, there are about 6,000 macaques who attract thousands of tourists every year. Tourists pay money to take pictures and they feed the monkeys.
However, the coronavirus stopped tourism, and the monkeys started to get hungry. They started to attack each other and people in the streets, too.
Local people started to feed the monkeys. They gave them sweets, fizzy drinks, and cereals which had a very negative impact. Too much sugar in their diet made the monkeys more sexually active, and their population went up.
Authorities decided to solve the problem, and they started to sterilize the monkeys. Local people hope that the streets will become calm again.
Difficult words: attract (to make someone interested or come to a place), fizzy drink (a sweet drink with bubbles that has no alcohol), sterilize (to stop someone from having a baby).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos