Too much information can be bad – level 2
People often share a lot of detail about suicide in media and films, and experts say that this detail can be dangerous for some people.
Some people are not happy with their lives, and they think about death. They have no real plans to die. When they hear or read about a suicide, they start to think about ending their own life.
This situation happens mainly to young people because they care about what other people think about them. They are under a lot or pressure from friends and other young people. Also, they don’t always understand they can get through difficult times in life.
Experts warn that when media inform about a suicide repeatedly, the information is simplified. When people hear and read about a suicide, they start to think that it is the only solution to their problems.
Difficult words: suicide (an action to end your own life), pressure (the influence or effect of someone or something), simplify (to make simpler or easier).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos