Too Much Sugar in Bread – level 3
Ireland´s top court ruled that Subway´s bread was too sugary to meet the definition of ´bread´.
The judgment was a response to a Subway´s franchisee who had appealed for a tax refund, arguing that its bread was a staple food and therefore a subject to a 0% tax rate. However, the sugar and fat levels of the food must fall below certain limits; otherwise, it is classified the same as other baked goods like cookies.
Surprisingly, Subway´s 6-inch white bread has five grams of sugar, which is similar to an Oreo cookie. The bread has a sugar content of 10% of the weight of the flour included in one dough. However, according to Ireland´s law, the sugar content should not exceed 2% of the weight of flour in the dough.
In 2018, the chain closed more than 1,000 locations in the US after struggling to adapt to more health-conscious customers.
Difficult words: franchisee (a person or a company that has a license to run a restaurant that is similar to other restaurants), staple food (a basic food that is eaten every day), dough (a mixture of flour and water that is used for baking bread or pastry).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.