Top Gun Maverick – level 3
Top Gun: Maverick, the sequel to the 1980s classic Top Gun starring Tom Cruise, is the latest major blockbuster to skip the summer movie season.
The movie was previously expected to open on July 2, 2021, which itself was a delay from September 23, 2020, and it will now premiere on November 19, 2021. Tom Cruise’s other big franchise play for Paramount Pictures, Mission: Impossible 7, is being delayed all the way to 2022.
A specific reason wasn’t given for the change; however, one of the reasons could be that while the COVID-19 situation is improving in the US, the vaccine rollout hasn’t been so fast in other countries where films like Top Gun: Maverick and Mission: Impossible stand to get big box office receipts. Some countries are heading into another lockdown, and Paramount Pictures is waiting until the entire world is ready to surge the box office of Tom Cruise’s two highly anticipated sequels.
Difficult words: blockbuster (a film or book that is a great commercial success), premiere (to have a first public performance), franchise (a series of stories), box office (a place where the tickets to a theatre or cinema are bought, often used to refer to the commercial success of a film or play), surge (to have a lot of people or things come at one time; also when a sickness becomes very widespread.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.