Top US judge gets expensive gifts – level 1
Democratic US Representative wants to get rid of Clarence Thomas.
Clarence Thomas is a top judge in the United States. He has many fancy holidays. Harlan Crow pays for the holidays. Crow is a rich businessman. He likes the Republicans. The media say that Thomas takes the gifts and he does not tell anyone. But it is a rule. A judge must tell if he gets gifts.
Thomas says that he does not know he must report these special gifts. He says that he follows all rules. Cortez knows that it will not be easy to make Thomas end his job. He gets support from the Conservatives.
Difficult words: fancy (nice and expensive), report (to inform about something), support (help).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the consequences of Democratic US Representative Cortez wanting to get rid of Clarence Thomas?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos