Top US judge gets expensive gifts – level 3
Democratic US Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has called for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to be impeached and his advisers probed, following reports of luxury trips that he took over decades and that were funded by a Republican donor.
ProPublica reported that Thomas had accepted expensive trips from real estate magnate Harlan Crow, despite federal law requiring the disclosure of most gifts.
Thomas defended the trips, claiming he had been advised he didn’t need to report the ‘personal hospitality’, and that he had always sought to comply with disclosure guidelines.
Ocasio-Cortez acknowledged that progress was unlikely since the House of Representatives has a Republican majority that wouldn’t want to take action against a conservative justice.
Difficult words: disclosure (the act of making new or secret information known), personal hospitality (beverages, meals transportation, and other things purchased non-commercially by a person), comply (to obey).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What action has been taken, if any, to investigate the legality of Justice Clarence Thomas' trips funded by a GOP donor?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.