Tornado hits the Czech Republic – level 2
On Thursday, a rare tornado hit the southeastern Czech Republic. The tornado killed at least three people, and more than a hundred people ended up in hospital.
Several thunderstorms hit the area with winds of more than 219 kmph. Hailstones as big as tennis balls damaged cars, roofs, and windows. Rescuers from all over the country and neighboring Austria and Slovakia continued searching for injured people, and local authorities declared a state of emergency.
Tornadoes are not so rare in Europe, as a few hundred hit the continent every year. They often hit areas where nobody lives, so nobody knows about them.
Difficult words: rare (when something does not happen very often), hailstone (a small ball of ice which falls from the sky like rain), declare a state of emergency (when a government makes special rules to control a situation of danger or disaster).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.