Tornadoes hit six US states – level 3
A devastating large group of tornadoes moved through six US states in the midwest and south, killing more than 70 people in Kentucky.
They left a trail of destroyed homes and businesses along a path of destruction that stretched more than 320 kilometers.
Overnight thunderstorms created the tornadoes as the storm moved from Arkansas and Missouri into Tennessee and Kentucky. Kentucly was slammed by at least four tornadoes. The heavy winds moved a train in the west of the state, and a tornado destroyed a candle factory with over a hundred people inside. The roof fell, and it caused mass casualties. In many places, tornadoes destroyed buildings and knocked down trees and power lines.
Rescue workers searched through the debris in the small hope of finding survivors. President Joe Biden declared a major federal disaster in Kentucky, to allow additional government help, for the state where thousands of people were left without housing, food, water, and power.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.