Tourists damage the Colosseum – level 1
Two American girls are in Rome. They are 21 and 25. They visit the Colosseum. They damage it. They write their initials on a wall. Then they take a selfie. Police officers see the girls. They stop them.
The Colosseum is 2,000 years old. It is very popular. Millions of people visit it every year. Sadly, some tourists damage it. A Russian man put an initial on a wall last year. Police caught him. He paid 20,000 euros.
Difficult words: damage (to do something bad to something), initial (the first letter of a name), selfie (a picture of yourself, taken by yourself; this picture is often put on the Internet).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these tourists?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.