Tourists in Maya Bay – level 2
Maya Bay in Thailand was in the media in 1999 when Hollywood arrived there to film ‘The Beach’. One of the film’s actors was Leonardo DiCaprio.
Due to the movie, tourists started coming to the beach there. As many as 4,000 visitors used to arrive on boats every day.
Since there were so many tourists, the natural life was ruined. To protect the beach, people closed it now for four months. When it reopens by the end of September, only 2,000 visitors a day will be allowed to the beach.
A scientist said that he and the other scientists made a mistake – they thought that the money from the movie was very important, but now they see that they must protect the beach.
An actress from the film said that people are obsessed with fame and celebrity. They do not come to the beach because it is beautiful but because of the film. She said that Thailand is amazing and there are many beautiful beaches.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.