Tourists will pay to visit Venice – level 1
Venice is a historic town in Italy. More than 5 million tourists visit Venice last year. Over 30,000 people visit it every day.
Most people stay only for a few hours. They don’t feel the atmosphere of Venice. They don’t follow the rules. They swim in the lagoons. They have picnics on monuments.
Local people say that tourists change recently. They don’t want to get to know the town.
Authorities want to change the situation. After January 2023, people will pay to get to the center of Venice. Vendors will also sell less cheap plastic things to tourists. Authorities want local artists to sell their products.
Difficult words: historic (old), atmosphere (the feeling of a place), lagoon (a lake of sea water).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos