Tourists will pay to visit Venice – level 2
In 2021, more than 5 million tourists visited the Italian town of Venice, and in 2022, 120,000 people visited it during Easter weekend.
The situation became critical. Some tourists swam in the lagoons, or they had picnics on historic monuments. Over 30,000 to 40,000 people visited Venice every day, and most of them stayed for only a few hours. They couldn’t enjoy the atmosphere or fall in love with the place.
Authorities decided to change the situation, and they made a plan. After January 2023, all visitors will have to pay to get to the city center. Authorities also want to reduce the sale of cheap plastic souvenirs and support local artists.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.