Toxic water in Brazil – level 2
Two weeks ago, two dams at an iron ore mine in Brazil burst. Thick orange mud is now washing into the ocean. There is as much mud as there is water in 25,000 Olympic swimming pools.
The Brazilian government is calling this a catastrophe. The mining company says that the mud is not toxic, but biologists and experts say that it is.
The Brazilian President told the company to pay 44,000 pounds (66,500 dollars). Some people think that it is not enough and they protest.
Difficult words: dam (a wall which holds water), ore (a material from which a metal can be extracted), mine (holes in the ground which people dig to get metals).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this situation in Brazil?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.