Tragic Korean Halloween festival – level 1
A Halloween festival is in Seoul, South Korea. People are happy. The event is the first with no coronavirus restrictions. The festival takes place in a popular area. Many clubs and bars are there.
One narrow street becomes full of people. They cannot move. It is nighttime. People can’t see well.
Some people become crazy. They don’t see how serious the situation is. People fall to the ground. Others step on them. 153 people die.
Many of these people are around 20 years old. The disaster is one of the country’s biggest.
On Sunday, South Korea’s president visits the place. A time of national mourning is happening in the country now.
Difficult words: restriction (a rule which tells what people can or cannot do), disaster (a very serious accident in which people get hurt or die), national mourning (when the people of a country are very sad when someone gets hurt or dies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos