Tragic Korean Halloween festival – level 2
153 people died at a Halloween festival in Seoul, South Korea. The incident happened in a popular nightlife area. The event was the first since the pandemic when people didn’t have to wear masks or follow safety rules.
A crowd of people moved into a narrow street that made movement impossible. The situation got out of control at around 10 pm when some people became drunk and unruly. They continued to walk, although the place was already full. Some people fell to the ground and others crushed them.
The incident became one of the biggest disasters since 2014 when 304 students died in a ferry accident. On Sunday, the country’s president visited the area, and he declared a time of national mourning.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.