Tragic Korean Halloween festival – level 3
In Seoul, South Korea, a Halloween stampede killed at least 153 people in a crowded nightlife area.
The Halloween event was the first in three years that was free of coronavirus restrictions and social distancing. Many of the party goers wore masks and Halloween costumes.
A huge crowd surged into an alley, and some witnesses described the crowd became increasingly unruly and agitated. After the stampede, community centers became makeshift facilities for missing persons as friends desperately sought for their loved ones.
After the president declared a period of national mourning on Sunday, he visited the site of the stampede. He expressed condolences to the victims, most of whom were in their 20s. The disaster was the country’s deadliest since the 2014 ferry sinking that killed 304 people, mainly high school students.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.