Train hits a plane – level 3
Police in Los Angeles, US, pulled a pilot from a small plane just moments before an incoming commuter train hit it. The plane had crashed onto railroad tracks near Whiteman airport in Pacoima.
The pilot averted death twice in minutes on Sunday. First when he crash-landed onto the tracks, and second, when police officers rescued him. The small plane had engine failure during its takeoff from the airport, and it went down only moments later.
Police officers arrived at the crash scene almost immediately, as the local station was very close. Officers had requested to stop all train activity; however, it didn’t happen. One officer stood by the plane, trying to keep the seated pilot awake. When bells and flashing lights signaled an oncoming train, the officers dragged the man away only seconds before the train smashed through the plane.
According to local media, the pilot was treated at hospital for cuts and bruises, and no one on board the train was injured.
Difficult words: commuter (a person who travels for work or to other places), avert (to turn away), in minutes (in a short time).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos