Training for Mars – level 1
This news is about six people. They are three men and three women. They move to a dome. This dome is near a volcano. The volcano is in Hawaii and it is not active.
This environment is like the environment on Mars. If the people want to go outside, they must wear a spacesuit. The team will be together for one year.
However, a mission to Mars will be even longer. NASA says that it can take from one to three years.
Difficult words: dome (a building which has the shape of a ball cut in half), environment (the outside; the space where you live), will (this means “in the future”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you want to live on Mars?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.