Training for Mars – level 3
Six NASA recruits, 3 men and 3 women, have taken up residence in a dome near a barren volcano in Hawaii designed to simulate life on Mars.
The team, made up of three scientists, a pilot, an architect and a doctor and journalist will live in isolation for a year while being monitored using cameras and movement trackers. Just as they would if they were on the red planet itself, the recruits will have to wear a spacesuit any time they venture outdoors. The mission will last a full 12 months, while NASA believes a real-life human mission to Mars would take between one and three years.
This is not the first time humans have prepared for just such a mission. In 2011, would-be astronauts from Europe, Russia and China were locked away in windowless, cramped cells for a record-breaking 520 days. While the experiment was deemed a success, it’s thought it could be decades before man steps foot on Mars for real.
Difficult words: recruit (a person who applied to do something and now gets to do it), dome (a building which looks like a ball cut in half), barren (there is only dirt and rocks), the red planet (a nickname for Mars as its land is red), venture (to go somewhere that could be dangerous), cramped (very small), cell (a very small room), deem (to consider).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos