Transgender athlete at the Olympics – level 2
New Zealand chose the first transgender athlete who will compete at the Tokyo Olympics.
Laurel Hubbard competed in men´s weightlifting before she decided to become a woman. In 2015, she became a woman, and since that time, she could compete in women´s weightlifting.
Hubbard will compete in the super heavyweight category, and some people will probably not be happy about it. Some people think that transgender athletes should not compete because it is not fair to the other athletes.
The International Olympic Committee changed the rules for transgender athletes who can compete if their levels of testosterone are low enough. Some scientists say that transgender women went through puberty as men, and therefore, it makes them better at sports than other women because they are taller or bigger.
Difficult words: transgender (a person who was born a man but he feels to be a woman, or a person who was born a woman but she feels to be a man), testosterone (a hormone which makes the body look like a man), puberty (the time when a child is becoming an adult).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.