Transgender People in Army – level 2
Transgender people are people who feel that they were born in the wrong body.
Last year, the US government banned most transgender people from the army. The rule was that transgender people could work in the army; however, they had to use the gender which they were born with. An army officer decided to go to court because she did not agree with the rule.
This week, lawyers said that the officer got an exception. The officer is now allowed to use the gender which she prefers. She can choose to wear a male or female uniform, and she can decide if she wants to look like a man or a woman. The lawyers are happy, and they hope that other army officers will have the same rights in the future.
Difficult words: gender (if a person is a man or woman), exception (when something is different from usual situation, or there are different rules), male (a person who is a man), female (a person who is a woman).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.