Transgender People in Army – level 3
The US Navy has granted an exception to allow a transgender officer to serve openly as her preferred gender.
It is the first exception since the US government banned most transgender people from serving in the military last year. Under the policy, transgender people who were already in the military could continue to be there. However, they had to agree to serve in the gender that was assigned to them at birth.
Lawyers announced that the officer was granted a special permission to be recognized as her preferred gender. She will be allowed to follow a female uniform and grooming standards. Her lawyer said that he was relieved that a highly qualified naval officer will be able to continue her services. However, other service members should get the same rights.
Difficult words: transgender (a person who is born as a man or woman; however, he or she feels to be in the wrong body), preferred gender (how a person prefers to be identified by others), grooming standards (what people do to look clean and neat)
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos