Tree man illness – level 2
In Bangladesh, a man suffers from a rare skin disease. People call it the tree man illness. There are bark-like outgrowths on his hands.
Doctors in Bangladesh operated on the man’s right hand. However, the 26-year-old patient will need to have a lot more operations.
In the meantime, the doctors sent little pieces of the outgrowths to America for a diagnosis. The final goal is to operate on both of the man’s hands and stop the disease from returning.
The illness is extremely rare. Only three other people in the world suffer from it. Experts say that more research needs to be done about this disease.
Difficult words: suffer (to have problems), disease (an illness), bark-like (looking like bark – the “skin” of a tree), outgrowths (something which grows out).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the tree man illness?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.