Tree man illness – level 3
A man in Bangladesh suffers from a rare skin disorder called Epidermodysplasia Verruciformis, also known as tree man illness. The disease makes bark-like growths appear on his body.
Medical staff in Bangladesh have performed the first ever surgery to treat the disease. The 26-year old patient was admitted to hospital in Dhaka and his right hand was operated on for the first time in what doctors say could be up to dozens of surgeries.
“We operated on him once and we plan to operate for more, maybe more than ten to twelve operations. In the meantime, we sent the tissue, culture and blood to America for some sort diagnosis and we’re waiting for this. The final goal is to operate both hands and to stop the recurrence of the disease.”
The illness is extremely rare with only three other people in the world suffering from it. Experts say more research needs to be done to determine why the tree-like phenomenon occurs.
Difficult words: bark (the “skin” of a tree), dozens (a lot of), tissue (the material which living things are made up of), culture (the bacteria), recurrence (the return), determine (to find out), phenomenon (something which happens).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos