Trees for Notre Dame – level 1
It is April 2019. Fire destroys the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, France. It is a sad moment for many French people. Notre Dame is one of the most important buildings in France. It is necessary to repair the cathedral.
The French president wants to repair the cathedral through 2024. Many people think that it is not possible. It is not easy to find so many trees to repair it.
The trees must be at least one meter wide and 18 meters long. People must cut down around 1,000 trees in different French forests.
They must work fast. The wood starts to get wet in spring. The wood must get dry. It lasts 18 months. Then, it is possible to build the cathedral.
Difficult words: cathedral (a large church), repair (when something is broken or damaged and somebody makes it good again), wood (the material which comes from trees and people use it for building or making fire).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.