Trees for Notre Dame – level 2
In April 2019, fire destroyed the top of the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, France.
The French government decided that the cathedral would look the same as before the fire. The French president promised to repair the cathedral through 2024, but it is a very hard task. It was not easy to find the right trees to repair it because they needed to be at least one meter wide and 18 meters long.
Lumberjacks must cut down around 1,000 oaks in 200 French forests. They must work fast because it is important to cut the trees down before spring starts. In spring, the wood becomes too wet. After the cutting, the trees need 18 months to get dry.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.