Trees for Notre Dame – level 3
Ancient French oaks have been felled after they had been selected to reconstruct the fallen spire of Notre Dame in Paris, France.
A nationwide hunt for the right timber began after it was decided that the spire would need to be rebuilt exactly as it was before it was destroyed in an April 2019 blaze. The trees needed to have trunks at least one meter wide and 18 meters long. Around 1,000 oaks from more than 200 French forests have been selected; however, the timber harvesting must be completed by the end of March which will prevent tree sap and moisture from entering the wood fibers. The oaks will then be left to dry for up to 18 months.
The French president, Emmanuel Macron, promised to rebuild the cathedral by 2024; however, it has been considered an unlikely timeline.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.