Trial with migrants – level 2
The Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban is against migration there. He says that the EU risks losing another country if the migration is not stopped.
Ten migrants came to trial for trying to illegally cross the border into Serbia last year. It is the first case of its kind to come to trial. Hungary sentenced nine of the men to nearly a year in jail, but then the country released them.
After the trial, a United Nations spokesman said that he was worried that a country would criminalise people who are fleeing war zones.
Difficult words: trial (a place where people say if you are guilty or innocent of a crime), spokesman (a person who speaks for a group), flee (run away from a place).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.