Tristan da Cunha – level 1
Tristan da Cunha is an island. It is between South Africa and South America. Only 265 people live there. They are British. There is a volcano on the island. In the 1960s, it erupted. People had to leave.
They went to England. Many of them liked England. But they went back to Tristan da Cunha.
People at this island want to produce more food. They need help. They are looking for good farmers. If you are a good farmer, this can be the job for you!
Difficult words: erupt (to explode), had to (past of “have to” = “must”), produce (to make).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to live on the island?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos