Tristan da Cunha – level 3
Tristan da Cunha is a British overseas territory, and is an island in the South Atlantic Ocean, which is roughly hallway between Cape Town and Montevideo.
Its 265 residents are currently seeking a farmer who could help them increase their food production and make them less reliant on imports, so if you happen to know something about tending livestock and crop rotation, the job offer could be for you. However, as one agricultural adviser, who did the job a few years ago, said that the agriculture can be summed up to cattle and sheep on 1,500 acres of grassland, and a small area with potatoes.
Tristan da Cunha hit the headlines in the early sixties when a volcano forced its inhabitants to evacuate, first to South Africa 1,500 miles away and then on to England. Upon returning, not all of them seemed happy to continue living on the most remote inhabited island on Earth.
One man who shared his feelings in 1965 said that if people had voted, around three quarters would have stayed in England. However, the man’s cousin maintains that it is the dream place to live and work, as it is very pristine, there is no crime, and anyone who comes there for a short-term contract enjoys it so much that he or she says that he or she would like to come back.
Difficult words: resident (a person who resides – lives somewhere), reliant (dependent on), agricultural (farming), inhabitant (a person who inhabits a place – lives there), maintain (to argue), pristine (clean).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Would you like to live on the island?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos