Tropical storm in Vanuatu – level 1
Vanuatu is an island. It is in the Pacific. A tropical storm hits the island. The wind blows up to 210 miles an hour (340 kilometres per hour). The wind rips roofs off houses. It downs trees. Around eight people die.
This storm is really bad. The sea goes up by eight metres. The capital city of Vanuatu is underwater. The United Nations wants to help the island, but it is not easy. The airport is closed. The wind is strong. People cannot help at the moment. They must wait for better weather.
Difficult words: blow (to push over), rip (to remove with a lot of force), roof (the top of a house or building).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.