Tropical storm in Vanuatu – level 2
At least eight people died on the Pacific island of Vanuatu. A tropical storm with winds of up to 210 miles an hour (340 kilometres per hour) ripped roofs off houses and downed trees.
Aid agencies described the storm as one of the worst disasters in Pacific history. The sea levels rose by eight metres and flooded the capital city. The United Nations is going to help the island, but the airport is still closed and winds are high, so people do not know when Vanuatu will get help.
Difficult words: rip (to remove with a lot of force), aid (to help), flooded (to cover in water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos