Tropical storm in Vanuatu – level 3
Amateur video shows the damage caused by Cyclone Pam in Port Vila, the capital of the Pacific island of Vanuatu. At least eight people have so far been confirmed dead after what aid agencies are describing as one of the worst disasters in Pacific history, which saw winds of up to 210 miles an hour (340 kph), ripping roofs off houses and downing trees.
Witnesses described sea surges of up to eight metres and flooding throughout the capital after the category five cyclone hit the country.
The video shows the extent of the devastation on the island with aid workers warning that the death toll is set to rise. The UN is preparing a major relief operation, but with the airport closed, winds still high and poor communications, it remains unclear whether they will be able to land.
Difficult words: aid (to help), rip (to remove with a lot of force), sea surge (upward movement of the ocean water), cyclone (a tropical storm), extent (size), death toll (the number of deaths), communication (phone service, cell phone service, internet or television services).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos