Truck is too heavy for a bridge – level 2
A truck drove onto a bridge in China but the truck was just too heavy for the bridge. The small concrete bridge collapsed under the truck’s weight. The driver of the truck said that he took a wrong turn in the dark.
The bridge connects a village with nearby towns, so the villagers must take long detours to cross the river. The accident also damaged the water pipe, which ran under the bridge.
Difficult words: concrete (a hard, grey building material), collapse (to fall down), detour (another way).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is there too much news from China on this website?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.