Truck is too heavy for a bridge – level 3
A bridge crossing ends in disaster after a truck proved too heavy, causing the entire structure to collapse.
The small bridge which links a village in east China’s Zhejiang Province with nearby towns collapsed in the early hours of Saturday morning after the driver said he took a wrong turn in the dark.
And to add to the problems facing locals as a result of the incident, the truck which was carrying metal rods to a construction site also damaged the main water pipe running beneath the bridge, cutting off the village’s water supply.
And with the truck firmly wedged in the destroyed remains of the bridge, villagers are left having to navigate longer detours to cross the river.
Difficult words: prove (to be), entire (whole), rod (a long, skinny piece of something), construction (building), firmly (strongly), wedged (stuck), detour (another route).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos