Trump Impeachment Trial – level 3
The second impeachment of Donald Trump, the 45th president of the US, occurred on January 12, 2021, only one week before his presidency ended.
The House of Representatives of the US Congress adopted one article of impeachment against Trump, saying that he incited the storming of the US Capitol on January 6.
In early January, President Trump made numerous unsuccessful attempts to overturn the US presidential election. He called on his supporters to come to Washington D.C. on January 6, which was the day that Congress was counting electoral votes. Trump´s supporters unlawfully entered the Capitol and five people died as a result of the riots. However, during the riots, Trump took no action.
House impeachment managers concluded their case against Donald Trump on Thursday by saying that the Capitol attack was the development of Trump´s lies and violent rhetoric. They also said that Trump would remain a threat to US democracy if he wasn´t convicted and stopped from holding future office.
Difficult words: impeachment (the political process with a public official who is charged with a crime or wrongdoing in office), adopt (to apply), article of impeachment (the formal document that starts an impeachment), rhetoric (persuasive language that can be regarded as insincere or meaningless).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.