Trump–Kim Talks – level 2
There was a historic meeting between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un last week, and they met in Vietnam’s capital of Hanoi. They were there to talk about the denuclearisation of North Korea.
The meeting ended earlier than planned, and they did not sign a deal. Trump later explained why he walked away from the talks.
He said that North Korea wanted to denuclearise a large area, which is what the USA wanted, but North Korea wanted USA to stop all the sanctions for that. The USA did not want to do that, so the meeting ended.
Trump said that the two days of talks were interesting, productive and friendly. The talks between the two countries will continue.
Difficult words: denuclearisation (putting away nuclear weapons – bombs and rockets), sign a deal (say ‘yes’ to an official document), denuclearise (put away nuclear weapons), sanctions (limits to what a country can or cannot do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.