Trump’s company in trouble – level 2
Last week, a New York judge sentenced Donald Trump’s real estate company to pay a penalty of 1.61 million dollars.
According to the judge, the company avoided paying taxes, and the penalty was the highest which the company could get. Experts said that the verdict could have a negative impact on the company because other companies would not want to lend it money.
Trump said that he didn’t agree with the penalty, and the Democratic Party wanted to hurt him and his business. His company plans to appeal to a higher court to change the verdict.
Difficult words: penalty (the money someone has to pay when he breaks a law), avoid (to not do something), verdict (a decision of a judge).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos