Tumbleweeds in Australia – level 1
This news is from a town in Victoria, Australia. The people there have problems with tumbleweeds. This summer is dry, so there are a lot of tumbleweeds.
The tumbleweeds are everywhere. They block doors, windows and gardens. They come from a field. No one maintains this field.
The council does not help the people in the town. The council says that the tumbleweeds are not a “fire risk”.
Difficult words: tumbleweed (a plant that dried up in the summer), maintain (to work on something), council (the local people who work for a place).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.