Turkey and Kurds – level 1
Afrin is a region and a city in the north of Syria. It is also a Kurdish enclave. Turkish planes bomb the region. Turkey wants to drive out the Kurdish fighters.
After four days, Turkish soldiers move into the enclave. Turkey wants to create a 30-kilometres ‘safe zone’ around Afrin. This makes relations between Turkey and the USA worse.
Difficult words: enclave (a small area which a big area surrounds; people in the small area are in some way different from the people in the big area), drive out (make go away), relations (the ‘feelings’ between two countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos